Saturday, January 23, 2010

Couch to 5K: Day 1

Ready or not (mostly not), here I come. Today is the day my training begins. I have until May 8 to become a runner. I don't know if I can do this.

My task today is to spend 50% of my 20 minute workout running and 50% walking. My Phazes Fitness trainer, having written down my lack o' health information ("Yeah...you're at level 3 obesity. That's really bad."), has encouraged me to take this run 30 seconds at a time. Run for 30 seconds and then walk for 30 seconds. If I can't make it to 20 minutes, I can shoot for 10.

Feelings check:  I'm overwhelmed and overcome by this goal.  It feels bigger than me.  I hear a voice in my head that says, "How do you eat an elephant?"  I know the answer the voice wants is "One bite at a time."  The only real response I have is, "Why would anyone want to eat an elephant?"

What I'm keeping in mind...what keeps me from turning tail and pretending I never made a 5K goal is the fact that this isn't for me.  I will not run for myself.  I will run for breast cancer research and awareness. The Salt Lake City Race for the Cure is May 8 this year, so I have until May 8 to train, prepare, and transform.  I hope it's enough time.  The people at Phazes think it is.

I know I can do this alone, but I am asking all of my readers and fans to not make me do this alone.  This is your notice.  I want you to race with me.  I already have readers ready and willing, but I want you (yes, YOU) to race with me too.  Whether you've run 20 marathons or you're like me, chubby, flabby, and terrified, I need to hear the echo of your feet against pavement to help me as I hear the echo of my own.

Today, I announce the creation of Team Mother Load.  Team Mother Load will be one enormous team of readers and fans made of up of smaller, local teams to run in Race for the Cure events.  If you're ready to make a difference in your life and in the life of someone else, please find a race in your area, spread the word, gather a team, and start training!  Report the names of your Team Mother Load members to me and share your obstacles, training tips, and triumphs.  If you want to run individually as part of Team Mother Load, that's okay too.  If you have a medical reason you can't run, or you can't find a race near you, support the Team Mother Load runners closest to you with your donations and pledges and find runners to run in your place.

For anyone worried they don't have the drive or motivation or know-how necessary to prepare for a 5K, I offer Phazes Fitness as the solution.  Their Remote Personal Training program is surprisingly inexpensive.  No matter where you live, you can take advantage of this service.  I haven't even started running, and I've already dropped a couple of pounds from following my trainer's advice to quit soda.  My mantra in this endeavor is "No excuses/Follow directions," so she could tell me to quit eating chocolate, and I would.  (Don't tell her that, okay?)

If you don't think you can fit race training into a busy life, I submit my life for your consideration.  I am a mother of five who works 40 hours a week and is enrolled in 4 classes at the University of Utah (with an A average).  I work 10+ hours a week on this blog and have two jobs at church.  If I can do it, you can do it.

So, what do you say?  Are you ready to do some good in the world?  Are you ready to get out of your comfort zone and make a change?  Join Team Mother Load now and get out there and run!

2 comments:

Beth said...

You can do it Sarah! I'm a runner and had to start my training over several years ago after a serious illness. Baby step. Run a little, walk a little. You can do it. It takes some time. Each week, add just a little more running time (30 sec-1 minute)
Good Luck. Can't wait to see what is next.

Carrie Snider said...

I am a classic example of someone who hated running.... that was a year ago. I did the Couch to 5k and am totally hooked now. Running for me started out as a way to lose weight, but it's become a huge stress reliever.