Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Couch to 5K: Day 10

I got an email from my Phazes Fitness trainer over the weekend with a modified running plan specific to me.  She said my ankles had been talking behind my back, and she felt this would be the smarter way to run.  (Ankles, we'll talk about this later.)

So, I started from square one today.  I'm again doing 30 seconds running and 30 seconds walking, only this week, we've taken it down from 20 minutes to 15.  This is both a sadness and a relief for me.  My ego is afraid to admit I had to go backward.  My rational mind knows this is why I hired a trainer to help me do this.  Michelle told me the goal with this change is for my runs to build my ankles up rather than tear them down.  This is smart.  My ankles should thank me for aligning myself with smart people for this training.

I did not want to run this morning.  I didn't wake up to my alarm at 7 and woke up at 7:02 to my son telling me I'd missed my alarm.  Showing an incredible amount of restraint and grace despite my extreme fatigue, I thanked him for saving my butt, then asked his permission to sleep until 7:10.  He looked at me weird and then said he guessed that would be all right.  I can't be expected to make sense before 8.  You should all know this.

I decided to vary my run today.  By this, I mean, I was so tired, I missed my turn and had to park on the other side of the park.  This turned out to be a good thing.  It changed the scenery a bit and broke up the monotony of running in the same place every time.  It also made it seem like I'd already run for much longer than I really had.  Bonus!

What I'm learning each time I get back from a run is that running is like a lot of things in life.  I don't really want to do it, but I'm always glad I did when I'm done.  When I come home from a run, I feel like I stand taller; I have more energy; and my muscles work together in a way they don't do on a non-running day.

I don't have much more than that today.  For all the height, energy, and balance of this morning, I'm really glad I don't have to go out again until Thursday.  I'm running, but I'm still not a runner.  I'm okay with that.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I know how you feel. I'm *supposed* to be walking on the treadmill at 3mph for 30 min in the morning, 2mph for 20 minutes in the afternoon. For the life of me, I can't seem to discipline myself enough to do it 5X a week like my trainer told me to. :p At least you're outside- I'm too much of a baby to weather the cold. I'm interested in your "ankle" bit, though. Is this to build up strength so you don't get shin splints? I get them SO easily when I even brisk walk around the block. I'm wondering if this would help me with that annoying problem.

You can do it, Sarah!